Commissariat House, located on Kings Bridge Road, is the last intact structure from the period of British rule in Newfoundland. It was built in 1818 to serve as a home and office for the supply officer of the British army. This elegant Georgian style home would remain a base for military operations until the garrison left Newfoundland in 1871. For a period of about 100 years after that, with the exception of a three-year period during WW1 when serving as a convalescence home, it had been used as a rectory for St. Thomas' Church. Today, the house is a registered historic site and can be toured by the public. It has been restored to the time period of the 1830s.